Sunday, August 16, 2009

I have recently announced my intention to seek election as Trustee for Subdivision 5.

The election will be held on October 28, 2009. By running, I seek to promote the value of small, walkable, neighbourhood schools.

I support innovation in schools, and believe that this can be best achieved by supporting involvement at the school level, by encouraging community involvement, and by supporting school staff.

I do not believe that innovation must be tied to a particular form of architecture, but can happen wherever students, teachers, support staff and communities are engaged and inspired.

I believe that it is important to maintain our existing schools adequately, thus ensuring decisions are made in the best interests of students, and that closure decisions are not based on maintenance deficits.

I believe that all levels of government have a role to play in the preservation of important historical buildings, and as such, should work collaboratively to maintain our shared heritage.

I also seek to draw attention to the direction proposed by the RBE's current 10-year plan which includes the closure of 12 elementary schools and two high schools. The plan also involves increased busing, culminating in nearly half (46 percent) of elementary students being bused each school day.

I am concerned that the current plan is at odds with the goal of creating sustainable, smart-growth neighbourhoods as endorsed and supported by other levels of government, especially the City of Regina.

I would seek to work collaboratively with other levels of government towards these shared goals.I support the promotion of schools as centres of the community and the inclusion of community partners in schools.

I believe that diversity is strength, and that by supporting innovation and involvement at the individual school community level we can best respond to the unique needs of students in those communities.

This subdivision has been well-served by the Trustee Dr. John Conway for the past 18 years. John recently announced that he will not be seeking re-election.

No comments:

Post a Comment